Materials on mobile platforms (Feature Level ES 2) use the same node-based creation process used by other platforms. Almost all of the Material inputs are available to mobile Materials,
and Materials will generally look and behave the same on mobile platforms as they do on other platforms. For instance, the following Material inputs all work exactly the same on mobile platforms
as they do on PC.
There are some considerations you must take into account when creating Materials to be used on mobile platforms, however:
- You are only allowed to use 5 texture samplers due to hardware limitations.
- Only Default and Unlit shading models are available.
- Customized UVs should be used to avoid dependent texture fetches (no math on texture UVs).
- Translucent and Masked Materials are extremely expensive. It is recommended that you use Opaque Materials wherever possible.
- Depth fade can be used in translucent Materials for iOS platforms. It is not supported on platforms where the hardware does not support fetching from the depth buffer and emulating this would incur an unacceptable performance cost.
In addition, some features are simply not available on mobile platforms.
- Scene Color expression
- Tessellation input
- Subsurface Scattering shading model